Ok, so this may sound like a weird recipe, but I have struggled to find any vegan cheese that melts properly like real cheese. You know, bubbling away beautifully on the top of the pizza or lasagne… So often I’ve tried and you just get hot pieces of grated vegan cheese still in their thin strips, just slightly flatter!
But no more! By adding more fat the cheese melts together, like normal dairy cheese. And by adding a bit more salt and some lemon juice, you can even get a more mature cheese flavour, rather than just a mild goo on you dinner. This recipe is so worth doing, it’s made pizza night a joy once more instead of a disappointment 🙂
- 120 grams grated vegan cheese I use the brand 'Violife'
- 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise I use 'Vegenaise' soya free
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Mix all of the ingredients together and top your pizza/ pasta bake/ whatever it is you need cheese melted on, and bake in the oven (or put under the grill) until hot and bubbling.
- How long you need to cook it for and the temperature will depend on what you're cooking so go with that recipe - a lasagne would need the time for a lasagne to cook, a pizza, much less.
This is a lovely treat, but thanks to the fats and salt is definitely not a health food! Enjoy in moderation 🙂